"When you realize that a beautiful interior has very little to do with objects and a whole lot to do with spirit, general well being and upliftment you find the soul of interior design. If you have respect for your surroundings and everything has it's perfect place you interact with your world differently you carry yourself differently. My father used to say that the state of your surroundings is the state of your mind. Look around your home, let your home be the foundation of your aspiration."

Written by a South African artist, interior designer & product designer.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Decluttering my shelving unit

I decided that my ikea shelving unit needed a major clean up.  I had mentioned in an earlier post how I found the perfect project to start my spring cleaning.  I always like changing things up and making things feel new again.  This shelving unit had become a catch all for all sorts of things.  I didn't buy anything new I just used the things I already had and reorganized it.  Here are some before and after pictures.


BEFORE







AFTER









Some things I like to keep in mind when styling bookshelves:

1.  I like to group books into similar colors.  This makes everything look more cohesive.

2.  Don't group larger items at the bottom of the shelving unit.  This makes it too bottom heavy.  I like to  spread out the larger items so it looks more balanced.

3.  I find that frames can sometimes look lost on a cubby shelf like mine so I removed all of them and put them somewhere else.

4.  I also like to group similar objects together.  Whether its by color or shape it gives much more impact when grouped together.

5.  Alternate books for a more interesting look.  Stack some vertically and some horizontally.

No comments:

Post a Comment