"When you realize that a beautiful interior has very little to do with objects and a whole lot to do with spirit, general well being and upliftment you find the soul of interior design. If you have respect for your surroundings and everything has it's perfect place you interact with your world differently you carry yourself differently. My father used to say that the state of your surroundings is the state of your mind. Look around your home, let your home be the foundation of your aspiration."

Written by a South African artist, interior designer & product designer.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Light vs. Dark

Maybe it's the crappy weather we're having in Vancouver lately but I've been toying with the idea of painting my bedroom walls charcoal grey.  I'm usually all about light and bright but I've got a bedroom with very little natural light.  When you're dealing with a room that's dark you can try all sorts of pale wall colours and it won't make it feel brighter, it will actually come across dull and lifeless.  Embracing a dark room by going darker on the walls will make it feel cozier while giving much more impact to the overall feel of the space.  Now I just need rope the hubby into a painting weekend:)


I'm thinking Palais Royal by Ralph Lauren



Some inspiration






6 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment about the cozy factor. We had our dining room painted black (just the top portion, the bottom is white.)and I think it makes dinners with friends really cozy and intimate. I'm sure your room will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just painted a client's room Puritan Gray and they love it! She told me last night her bedroom felt like their cocoon!
    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny we all complain about these grey days but we painted our living/dining room a nice grey, we love it AND we are never sad in it. Soooo with that said, I have to tell you that I just love the really dark House Beautiful room. Soooooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that first Houzz pic! I've been contemplating painting my master charcoal lately too! I painted it light grey last year, but it's lacking punch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color in the last room! A few rooms in my house will be painted grey.


    www.ashleysdesignstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Nice stuff, do keep me posted when you post again something like this!
    Lustre

    ReplyDelete