"When you realize that a beautiful interior has very little to do with objects and a whole lot to do with spirit, general well being and upliftment you find the soul of interior design. If you have respect for your surroundings and everything has it's perfect place you interact with your world differently you carry yourself differently. My father used to say that the state of your surroundings is the state of your mind. Look around your home, let your home be the foundation of your aspiration."

Written by a South African artist, interior designer & product designer.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Time for a bathroom reno!

I am up to my eye balls in bathroom renovations right now so I might as well add my own bathroom to the craziness.  I have an ensuite bathroom from hell and it's something that needs to be done whether this is our forever house or not.  Drywall is starting to crumble off the ceiling in the shower and both sinks are starting to crack etc....  Let's just say that there is nothing appealing about this bathroom and I have lived with it for six years, six looooong years!  I am going to do my best to keep the cost down as I am on a huge budget for this project. I need to be creative with where to spend and where to save and how to get the biggest bang for my buck!  Oh and did I mention that it's a lovely Pepto Bismol pink?  Yes, the walls, counter, trim and floor all in wonderful shades of pink.  Back in the 80's it was the popular pinky beige.  Kinda like the popular updated much nicer version we call greige so I guess that makes this colour peige??


One of the things I'd like to change if possible is the angled vanity.  This is creating all sorts of problems for me.  It will mean removing a closet in the kids bath but in the end it will be well worth it.



I have to live with the tub but I will break up the expanse of tile by adding some wood panelling to the apron and along the wall where the tile meets the windows.  I am also adding some shelves on the wall to the right of the tub for towels etc...


 The shower is a disaster!  I am removing the wall where the towel rack sits and adding glass so it's open to the tub. In order to do this I have to move the shower head and add a rain shower head from the ceiling.


My doggie won't miss a photo opportunity!


I haven't decided on any of the finishes yet.  But the overall colour palette will be white and grey with some much needed sparkle.  I can't wait to get started!!





8 comments:

  1. Andrea, your ensuite looks JUST like mine down to the brass shower door, dated tiled tub and pink counters. You have nicer cabinets though! Can't wait to see what you do with the space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do! At least it looks lke you have a good sized space to start with :)

    Andrea
    the-blonde-ambitions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I am jealous of how LARGE your space is!!! You could fit both of our upstairs bathrooms into your ensuite! Can't wait to see what you do - it's going to be beautiful, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just know you'll work a miracle in there!! I"m so envious because we need an ensuite reno as well. I'll have to live variously through you for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what you have planned is going to be awesome! Love the idea of the wood paneling tub apron, and the shelving for towels. Good for you for making the decision to do this. It's going to be so worth it in the end, and especially with your touch behind it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh but Andrea, I like it the way it is :-) No really, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us, with such a big space the options are limitless. Reach for the stars girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got such a large bathroom, Andrea. But I think large spaces are far more suffocating rather than small spaces. Have you ever considered making a partition for your dresser? It can be wise if you could make use of these empty spaces.

    #Ryann@YanceyCompany.com

    ReplyDelete